What’s in a domain name?

Shared with me by Charlene Chausis.

MSAD48 is doing something rather interesting for their high school seniors. Upon entering senior year, every student is given a unique domain name to be used for “work on their resume, portfolio and communicate with their class.” I would assume that when they leave the school at the end of the year, they will be taking it with them to be used throughout their college and professional years. See the video below for more…

I most definitely applaud their efforts in this, and wonder why more schools don’t do the same? In fact, taking it a step further, shouldn’t they be getting their own domain name in Freshman year? Or even in middle school? At what point is it too early to be preparing students for a life online?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
By | 2008-10-27T08:27:48+00:00 October 27th, 2008|Musings|11 Comments

1. mwright103 10/27/2008 at Oct 27, 08 | 9:44 am

What’s in a domain name? /Teach42/ – Shared with me by Charlene Chausis. MSAD48 is doing something … http://tinyurl.com/6fhcvs

2. Robert Rowe 10/27/2008 at Oct 27, 08 | 12:19 pm

Interesting idea, and I think, something more useful than just an iPhone like some colleges are doing now.
    I’m wondering if the school then passes the cost of the domain onto the student upon graduating…or if the sites go into the “trash” like many of their notebooks.

Robert Rowe´s most recent blog post.. Acoustic Smog, Headphones, and Your Ears

3. RustyBadger 10/27/2008 at Oct 27, 08 | 2:37 pm

We bought domains for our kids when they were 11 and 12, and have encouraged them to be very deliberate about their online presence. We feel that it’s vital for young people to be proactive about what information is available regarding their personal and professional lives, and it’s better that they be putting that information out there than that others do. If prospective employers and educators are going to be doing searches on them, they should find out what we want them to, not just random or negative stuff.

RustyBadger´s most recent blog post.. [Insert Title Here]

4. Reena 10/27/2008 at Oct 27, 08 | 2:48 pm

I applaud them for offering this invaluable service to their students! I run a free online resume service for students called NUresume (www.nuresume.com) and when we offered this to schools here they turned down the free offer…so for a school to do this is truly worth an applause!

5. Ms. Jen 10/27/2008 at Oct 27, 08 | 8:26 pm

In 2001, when I taught a web design class at a local university, it was a requirement that everyone in class have their own domain name. I encouraged them to think up domain names that were funny, reflected a passion, etc.

One of my students set up a domain name that reflected his passion of the previous summer, wandering around Europe taking photos of Soviet-era buildings. A few years later a friend asked if he could use the name for a band, then my student joined the band.

Now, seven years later, they are an up and coming experimental rock band: The Cold War Kids (coldwarkids.com).

Yes, encourage students and kids to get their own domain name. Experiment on it, experiment with expressing their passions and don’t forget to renew the domain name…

;o)

Ms. Jen´s most recent blog post.. Scruffy Attempting to Make a Break For It

6. John Larkin 10/28/2008 at Oct 28, 08 | 3:36 am

I agree, it is an excellent idea. I have heard of examples where parents have obtained domain names for their children as a gift.

Schools should educate students regarding the significance of domain names. Many countries have personal domain name suffixes such as .id (Australia) and .per (Singapore) for example but they are not widely promoted.

I wonder how will domain names be managed in the future? What if significant numbers of people with a similar family name all demand that they are equally entitled to a specific domain name? For example nguyen.com, smith.com or chen.com? How will families and their children feel if a domain name based on their family name is simply not available? It is not unlike hotmail email addresses.

On a related note, I am now considering how to ensure the preservation of my family’s domain name when I die.

John Larkin´s most recent blog post.. Fix for broken embedded Jaiku links

7. Amy Strecker 10/28/2008 at Oct 28, 08 | 8:19 am

A great idea! We need to give kids opportunities to generate online content and increase their search-ability in positive ways.

Amy Strecker´s most recent blog post.. Kids Less Likely to Graduate HS Than Parents

8. Bud Hunt 10/28/2008 at Oct 28, 08 | 8:55 am

I bought my daughters’ domain names for them at birth and plan on, over time, helping them to build the spaces they want to build with them. One day, I’ll transfer them to the girls, assuming that domain names are still used as addresses in the Internet of their adulthood.

Bud Hunt´s most recent blog post.. Hanging with the Big Kids

9. Steve 10/29/2008 at Oct 29, 08 | 8:34 am

@Rrowe I’d have to aimage it shows upa s a materials fee or something along those lines while they’re there and I certainly HOPE that they pass it along to them when they leave. Only makes sense.

@Rusty That’s a fantastic idea. I’d love to hear more about your program. Care to email me some of the details??

@Ms.Jen That’s a really good point about renewing! Because once it slides, it WILL be snatched up. That’s why I don’t have Dembo.com… Interesting story about your students. Funny how seemingly simple choices can have long term effects like that.

@John I was wondering the same thing. And do students HAVE to use their real name? Could they do soemthing like I did with Teach42, creating a brand per se? Great question.

@Bud Hmmm… Now I’m wondering whether I should be registering a few domains for Aiden! Heck, Jess already created him a Facebook page, he has an email account. Might as well register a URL for him too! Good call…

10. Andrew Allen 11/3/2008 at Nov 03, 08 | 8:47 am

When I got my MBA at Loyola University back in 2002, the marketing program made us create a marketing plan for ourselves. Essentially, this was a combination of the resume, but it had where you are (not will be) in 5 years, and how you got there, along with your selling points. Selling yourself (in a good way), is critical in these times.

11. Kathy 6/13/2009 at Jun 13, 09 | 3:15 pm

Great post. Here is some caution we all need to look out for!!

The beautiful thing about a good domain name is that every domain name is unique and can be a sustainable competitive advantage even for the “little guy”.
    But beware, I do put a word of caution out into the community that there are a lot of registrars that when you type in the name to see if it is taken, they immediately register it for themselves (if you don’t). This is a disgusting practice and from what I understand http://www.rnrstuff.com does NOT do this. That is why I use them to do the first uploads. Cheaper than almost all the big time sites but honest thus this far. Work 1 to 2 hours at any job or odd job and own yours for a year.

The domain business is still “finding its way” so be careful out there.