What’s your favorite Web 2.0 site?

I’m in the process of putting together a presentation about some of the best FREE Web 2.0 sites for educators. Nothing too heavy, this is going to be a whirlwind tour of free tools available to teachers that they may want to take advantage of. What do you think are three sites that absolutely MUST be included??

Here’s the guidelines:
1) I’m only looking for free sites. If the site has a free as well as paid service (like Flickr), only suggest it if you think the free features make it worthy. Timed free trials don’t count and shouldn’t be included.
2) Only suggest sites that you think would be worthwhile for educators to make use of.
3) I’m using a very loose definition of Web 2.0. So loose that I won’t define it here ūüôā

Vote using the form below. I’ll publish the results in a future blog post. And if you want to do some more typing, feel free to vote for your favorite 3 in the comments and let everyone know why you chose them.

UPDATE In response to an email I got, I’m actually using one of my favorite web 2.0 apps to handle the form: DabbleDB. However, since there’s no free version (they have a 1 month free trial), it won’t make this list.

[unformat]

[/unformat]

By | 2007-01-04T13:12:10+00:00 January 4th, 2007|Musings|24 Comments

1. Aaron Smith 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 1:01 pm

You’ve already mentioned my favorite (Flickr), but beyond that I’m a big fan of del.icio.us, furl.net, ourmedia.org, archive.org, blogger.com, blogmeister.com, vox.com, bloglines.com, edublogs.org, wordpress.com, bubbleshare.com, pimpampum.net/bubblr, wikispaces.com, myimager.com, and eyespot.com.

I’m sure there’re more, but those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. And besides, you already know about most all of them, I’m sure.

2. Barry Dahl 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 3:00 pm

Hi Steve,

My top 3: Zoho Suite, Flickr, and Skype.

You can see my top 12 tools (that I personally use and recommend) on my blog at: http://barrydahl.blogspot.com/

You can also see an online presentation handout that I’ve used several times for a similar workshop at: http://writer.zoho.com/public/barrydahl/CIT2006-Web-2.01

I think all of my top 12 have serious uses within academia, but it depends a little on what a person does. I’m mainly looking for tools that allow for sharing and collaboration.

Good luck with your presentation. Barry

3. Elizabeth Ross Hubbell 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 5:10 pm

Hi Steve,

I know del.icio.us has already been mentioned, but it’s by far my favorite.

Others: http://pbwiki.com, Google Calendar (I’ve heard of teams of teachers putting calendars together so that parents and specials teachers knows when grade levels are doing something special), YourDraft, Writeboard, and Google docs/spreadsheets.

4. Jennifer Dorman 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 5:50 pm

In addition to the sites already mentioned, let me add StumbleUpon, clipmarks, My Stickies, Pageflakes, Topix, Box.net (the free and sharable portion), and netvibes.

There is a very comprehensive list of Web 2.0 resources posted online at http://virtualkarma.blogspot.com/2006/01/complete-list-of-web-20-applications.html.

5. Kelly Dumont 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 6:39 pm

Steve,My current favorite is Google Docs and Spreadsheets. I loved Writely and Google has not screwed it up too much. We are using it in our work group for a lot of administrative and collaborative tasks.

6. H. Songhai 1/4/2007 at Jan 04, 07 | 8:21 pm

In addition to del.icio.us and Skype, Survey Monkey is a great tool for teachers and especially for students. Users/students can create professional looking surveys online, email those surveys to dozens of people and analyze the survey data. Survey Monkey is a real winner! My students and I use it regularly.

7. Kathryn S 1/5/2007 at Jan 05, 07 | 9:15 am

Hi Steve,
    I love some of the sites already mentioned but wanted to add Google Earth, Picasa and G-cast. My students have ben pod-casting since the first week of school and the love it. I can’t wait to see the final list.

8. Tom Turner 1/5/2007 at Jan 05, 07 | 11:17 am

Hi Steve…

Great poll! I’d have to say my tops are as follows in no particular order (and which have been mentioned already as well): Google Earth (as a SS teacher it’s awesome), wikispaces and pbwiki for collaborative purposes between students and teachers alike, edublogs (now that I have mine going again there { }, Google Calendar within my team of teachers is nice as well.

9. Tom 1/5/2007 at Jan 05, 07 | 6:36 pm

The posts above seem to have hit the obvious ones. Here are a couple that I find interesting.

I think swivel.com is an up and comer. Think of it as dabbleDB for graphs and data. A really neat idea that’s got some great potential.

stikkit.com is another one I just recently got into. It’s got some really neat features some are sort wiki like, some are calendar like and some are unique. It a really interesting application.

I don’t know if MIT’s SIMILIE project really counts – it does use a lot of javascript and in some case xml to do some neat things with all their tools (?).

10. Charlene 1/8/2007 at Jan 08, 07 | 12:15 am

Here’s my favorite free survey site… http://www.addaform.com
    Free account provides 10 surveys, 25 questions per survey, with unlimited responses! Upgrade to the “Professional” version for free, and download survey data for handling in Excel, Filemaker, etc. There are Google ads on the site, but easy to use.

Another freebie is http://www.response-o-matic.com
    Great for collecting information online. One free form per account, with unlimited responses.

BubbleShare — http://www.bubbleshare.com
    Share your photos and the stories that go with them. Create a new Album and receive a link in your email, no account required. Just free and private sharing, now with blog integration, audio captions, photocasts and more. Great use for classroom digital storytelling!!

11. Jack Vinson 1/8/2007 at Jan 08, 07 | 2:00 pm

Does Skype really count? That is more of a new use of existing infrastructure than something that’s truly web2.0 — at least as I think of it.

Flikr, blogs in general, wikis in general, del.icio.us are all good and useful things. I like the various Google maps mashups, like that I can publish a map of where I bicycled when I sync my GPS unit to Garmin’s MotionBased.com.

12. Jack Vinson 1/8/2007 at Jan 08, 07 | 2:02 pm

Oh… And there is another that I just remembered as I hit the “post” button. CoComment. I use it to help me keep track of converstations on blogs that are otherwise difficult to track. Even blogs that provide a comment feed require that I subscribe to it, if I want to follow comments.

13. Bump on the Blog » Best Web 2.0 Sites 1/11/2007 at Jan 11, 07 | 8:37 pm

[…] Steve Dembo over at Teach42.com is in the process of collecting a list of free Web 2.0 sites for a presentation he is putting together.  The responses thus far are extraordinary and are well worth the time to glance over. […]

14. Jim W. 1/12/2007 at Jan 12, 07 | 8:37 am

The ones I use the most are Flickr, Furl, Bloglines, Protopage (2.0?) and pbwiki. I like YouTube but don’t look at it much.

Jim

15. Karen Janowski 1/12/2007 at Jan 12, 07 | 9:15 am

Steve,
    These aren’t necessarily Web 2.0 sites but they are FREE and they support struggling learning in all our classrooms. What they do is make the Web 2.0 tools accessible for students with disabilities using principle of Universal Design for Learning. I blogged about these today at http://www.teachingeverystudent.blogspot.com

Please check these out and add them to your resource list. I believe all teachers need to know there are free tools that support kids with learning and other disabilities.

16. Derek 1/28/2007 at Jan 28, 07 | 11:45 pm
  17. […] I’m back at work and getting into the swing of things. Gearing up for conference season and pulling together some presentations. Oh yeah, a HUGE thank you to everybody who responded to the “Favorite Web 2.0 apps” thread. It’s been fun going through it and lots of new apps to explore! […]

18. […] A few weeks ago, I put out a request for people to post their top three Web 2.0 sites that they use in education. I declined to define Web 2.0 because I didn’t want that to get in the way of people identifying the sites that they found worthwhile. I figured that I could always filter things down myself, and I have been. However, it wasn’t until I read Miguel’s post Nature of 2.0 that I really got a handle on what defines a Web 2.0 site to me. […]

19. echemistry 2/20/2007 at Feb 20, 07 | 6:49 pm

I recently know Nenest (http://www.nenest.com), which can host any data, picture, table, file attachments, even my chemical structures. I really like it very much.

20. […] A couple of months ago now, I asked people to share with me their top 3 Web 2.0 resources for educators. I was in the process of putting together a presentation and wanted to get some feedback from the general public, and also trying to find some new ones that I hadn’t played around with before that might be worth including. […]

21. Phil Barnhart 10/6/2008 at Oct 06, 08 | 10:30 pm

I have used Gliffy quite a bit.

22. Phil Barnhart 10/6/2008 at Oct 06, 08 | 10:30 pm

I have used Gliffy quite a bit (gliffy.com)

23. Alex 2/10/2009 at Feb 10, 09 | 1:42 pm

What is this?
    The web does not have versioning numbers!

24. Janet Bianchini 7/7/2009 at Jul 07, 09 | 11:58 am

Hi Steve

I really like xtranormal. I have made several “films” for slang exploitation. Animoto is great and very easy to use. I think “apture” is also a very useful tool. I love wordle – it’s brilliant for pre-reading tasks.
    .-= Janet Bianchini´s last blog ..Blog Carnival : Kalinago English – Advice for NOOBIE Bloggers =-.