Where did all my old habits go?

For the past few years, I would get to school early, read through my feeds on bloglines, write a response or two, download some podcasts and listen to them on the way home. This year, I’ve been back at school for three weeks and have only blogged twice. Both of those were at workshops as well. So what’s going on?

Well, at first we didn’t have wireless at my school. DSL was only available in the office so I had no connection. About a week ago, I plugged in a wireless router so now I have access. Time is a completely different issue. I get to work on time since I didn’t have my own classroom to go to yet. They still had a bunch of cleaning to do, so today is the first day that we can get into our classrooms. Our days have been incredibly full and by the time I get home, I really haven’t been in the mood to touch a computer unless it was to play poker or get ready for fantasy football. At the most, I’ve read through blogs once a week.

So in the immortal words of Yoda, “[I] must unlearn what [I] have learned.” This year is an entirely different ballgame. I won’t have the leisure time that I had in the past between tasks. I won’t have the same flexibility that I had when it came to starting and ending my day.

Reality is, if something is important you have to make the time for it. Lately I haven’t made time for my own personal professional development. I’ve been so inundated with school professional development that I have neglected my own.

It’s more than past time that I start blogging and reading blogs again on a regular basis, and definitely time to start podcasting again. Can I do it tonight? Maybe. I do have to make a trip to home depot, drop some things off at school, buy some balloons and do some prep work. Sounds like a great excuse not to do a podcast.

However, the whole thing began when I first plugged a microphone into an iPod and started talking into it. There’s no reason that I can’t record an old school CarCast and get the ball rolling again. Lack of time is an excuse that everybody has and never goes away. But at the end of the day, it’s still just an excuse.

So let me conclude with this: Welcome back, blogosphere. New school year, new set of challenges, and it’s time to create some new habits.

By | 2005-08-29T11:53:04+00:00 August 29th, 2005|Site news|10 Comments

1. Jack MacLeod 8/29/2005 at Aug 29, 05 | 5:30 pm

Don’t sweat it too much Steve. There’s lots of change going on in your life. I look forward to your return to, hopefully, regular blogging and podcasting. I’ve been having the same problem with blogging since I got back from Boston – too many other things going on.

Hope your year goes well.

2. Ewan McIntosh 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 12:15 am

Your predicament is the same as many teachers around the world. Just yesterday I was writing a post about how we should maybe be ditching those curriculum planners at the beginning of the year and, instead, think about having scratchathons and creative programmes to get the kids motivated from day one. What do you think?

3. Ewan McIntosh 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 12:16 am

4. Terry 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 9:30 am

Read Ecclesiastes (or listen to the Byrds): For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. Basically, things go in cycles, and you need to recognise that it isn’t always appropriate to do something. Lack of time may be an excuse, but it can also be your subconscious’s way of telling you to do something different for a while. Personally, I don’t go along with this business of blogging (or writing) every day even if it’s crap. My view, in the words of the old disco song: if it feels good, do it! And the obvious corollary is: if it doesn’t, don’t!

5. Ewan McIntosh 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 9:37 am

Terry, I don’t think anyone is saying that on a blog you have to write every day (even if it’s crap). Blogging is all about saying what you *have* to say, and if you don’t have anything, you don’t say it. It’s simple.

Note that blogs are also useful tools in learning how to phrase one’s language. By referring to the blogs of others as ‘crap’, without explaining what you find ‘crap’ and why, you’re not really taking advantage of the medium yourself. Nor are you inviting a conversation on the matter, because you’re not bringing any support into your argument. Understand blogs first, criticise constructively when you have.

6. Terry 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 10:16 am

OK, sorry, I should have explained, Ewan. I read a document a couple of days ago in which the writer said that it was important to blog every day, even if what you write is rubbish, ie it’s the act of blogging itself that’s important, not the quality. My view is that kind of viewpoint can have the effect of laying a guilt trip on someone, for no good reason in my opinion. I love writing, and because of that I won’t write/publish anything which I consider to be crap, because I don’t want to be associated with it.

So, apologies if I gave the wrong impression. I would never have the arrogance to judge someone else’s writing by dismissing it as crap, only my own! By the same token, I don’t think anyone should feel obliged to write if they “know” that they are just going to produce utter drivel in their own opinion.

Relating it back to Steve’s original post, I don’t think Steve should feel bad in any way about not blogging for a while. There are only 24 hours in a day, and he’s just started a new job etc etc.

A wider point, which I actually mentioned to Will Richardson at the Building Learning Communities conference is that there seems to be a lot of social pressure these days (a) to blog (as opposed 2 indulging in other forms of writing) and (b) to blog incessantly!

Anyway, hope that ramble has cleared things up.

Terry

7. Ewan McIntosh 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 11:32 am

Looks like we’re singing from the same song sheet after all, Terry!

I think you’re right about the pressure to blog, but in some cases I apply pressure on people to blog because what they are doing at the moment doesn’t encourage any writing at all, not even on paper, where writing one’s thoughts would be of huge advantage to the learning of students. Learning logs, for example, are perfectly useful on paper and needn’t be blogged. There are advantages to blogging them, of course – peers can comment and help. But that’s as far as I would hope an established blogger would take his/her blogvangelisation to that individual.

Does that make sense? It’s getting late here in Scotland. Time for dinner…

8. Jack MacLeod 8/30/2005 at Aug 30, 05 | 7:12 pm

The new school year rapidly approaches

9. […] Google Talk

Obligated to blog? I don’t think so.

Yesterday’s post generated a bit of discussion, so I thought that I might […]

10. Edinburgh Lover 8/22/2008 at Aug 22, 08 | 1:45 pm

I know what it means to have to struggle to find time for important things, but as you stated, if it’s important enough to you, you make time for it.