A personal contract

One of the things that our directors asked us to do was to draw up a personal contract for ourselves to sign and turn in. Since my blog has always been a place to flesh out ideas and brainstorm things, I figured I’d do it here.

This year, I am rededicating myself to classroom education. I will not be satisfied with satisfactory, and will constantly be striving to improve the educational opportunities that I offer to my students.

I will arrive at school early to ensure that I am overly prepared for the day’s lessons. In the past I have had co-teachers and free periods, providing more than adequate time for preparation during the school day. That will not be the case this year, but the need for preparation is greater than ever.

Most days, I will be leaving school soon after the students have left. As dedicated as I am to education, it is still a job that I have in order to pay bills and support my personal life. I work hard so that my wife and I can enjoy our time together.

I will continue to reflect upon my own experiences, both privately and publicly. The blog and podcast are public manifestations of my own reflective process and through them I will continue to explore ways to improve the educational system of my own school as well as schools in general.

I will make deliberate efforts to collaborate with my grade level team and to share responsibilities with them. I often have the attitude that if you want something done right, you do it yourself. However, that generally means that you take on an extraordinary amount of extra work, sometimes unnecessarily. The other grade level teachers are incredibly motivated and have some fantastic ideas. By working as a team, we will be able to lessen everybody’s load.

I will conduct my classroom this year with a sense of urgency. These students need to do more than average, grade level work. In order to overcome the hurdles life has put in their way, they need to excel. Their own educational journeys will begin in my classroom, and I will make sure they have the tools they will need to be successful. I will not just be teaching kindergarten, I will be preparing them for 1st grade, middle school, high school and ultimately college.

I will continue my own educational journey this year as well. Through online research, workshops, conferences, and other professional development opportunities, I will continue to seek out new experiences in education. I do not believe that I already know enough to do the best possible job that I can. There is always something more that I can learn to improve my own teaching abilities.

Living to learn, learning to live.

By | 2005-08-13T07:29:30+00:00 August 12th, 2005|Musings|8 Comments

1. Jim 8/12/2005 at Aug 12, 05 | 5:01 pm

I really like this idea! Every year at my school we come up with goals for the year… usually having to do with test scores and standards, but very little to do with learning. This is a very cool alternative, one that seems to have a much greater metacognitive/reflective potential.

2. Bud The Teacher 8/12/2005 at Aug 12, 05 | 11:44 pm

Recommittment

As Steve returns to the classroom, he’s written a personal contract for himself. With a few minor edits, it serves as a good reminder for many of us. You should take a look. I particularly like the balance of

3. Reflective Teacher 8/13/2005 at Aug 13, 05 | 1:16 am

Steve,
    it’s great to read your reflections again. I have started blogging in large part because of your enthusiasm, especially in your podcasts. Anyway if you want to take a look here it is:
    Jo
    (from Australia, in the grip of winter)

4. Brian Mull 8/14/2005 at Aug 14, 05 | 1:05 pm

I am right there with Jo. I also started blogging this week after following your posts for a while and after meeting Alan and Will at the BLC 05 conference (I’m sorry that I didn’t get a chance to meet up with you. Perhaps next year.) It is people like the three of you, and all of the other educational bloggers out there that have rekindled my spark for teaching and of helping other teachers find that same spark.

Good luck with the new school year. I can’t wait to hear more about the podcasting studio.

My blog is at http://www.nlcommunities.com/communities/gli/

5. pdZone » 8/14/2005 at Aug 14, 05 | 8:59 pm

[…] /14/23/” rel=”bookmark”> Thinking ahead to completing my annual learning plan, this is a great template. I like how Steve has inclded personal time in his “person […]

6. wakemp 8/15/2005 at Aug 15, 05 | 8:27 am

I think the commitment is excellent but I would add a thought. You can’t do it alone. I worry about my colleagues that continue to try to live up to their ideas of teaching while ‘burning the candles at both ends’
    Even working with the grade team you need to know there are those of us ‘out here’ who are going to participate as well. So I offer this as a ‘subject to’

“The members of this community will read, respond and contribute to Steve’s public reflections and in doing so, also improve our own practice.”

my 0.02

7. John Cow 9/11/2008 at Sep 11, 08 | 7:19 am

. You stated:

“As dedicated as I am to education, it is still a job that I have in order to pay bills and support my personal life.”

I thought I would share with you a statement that enlightened me while I too was on my path to personal development. I know this statement made me think of things differently.

“Success is something you attract by the person you become, not by something you pursue and you must understand that your Philosophy needs to change, not the economy”

John Cow’s most recent blog post.. Alexa Sucks and I Think You Will Agree

8. ipanks 8/29/2009 at Aug 29, 09 | 4:30 am

personal contact is a must that we have to, because it will make other people easy to contact us.its about how you would to be know by other people
    .-= ipanks´s last blog ..Preview About Many Web Host From WP Designer =-.